Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Ark of the Lord

We had the Word of the Lord in 1 Samuel 3, and today the emphasis seems to be on The Ark of the Lord in 1 Samuel 4.

But one things seems to have become quite clear...that without the Word of the Lord to guide the going forths of even the very Ark of the Lord...we can end up getting ourselves into some very messy trouble!

Having read the about Hophni and Phinehas in chapter 2, it seems a terrible blight to the glory of the Lord to have them possessing the ark of the covenant of God. The Mercy Seat (which resided in the Ark of the Lord) morphed into a rabbit's foot or a good luck charm.

I sure hope I don't treat prayer, or Bible Study, or going to church or tithing like the Ark of the Lord was treated in this chapter...they didn't even take the time to seek God's mind on the matter.

What kind of testimony am I leaving behind? Is my life one that people will look back and actually draw conclusions from. What I mean is this...look in verse 7-8:

So the Philistines were afraid, for they said, "God has come into the camp. Woe to us! Woe to us! Who will deliver us? This is the God who struck the Egyptians with all the plagues."

They are using the events of the Exodus that occurred 400 years earlier as an argument for their conclusion in the present. Apparently, even up until this time, the dealings of God with the Egyptians and the Israelites still spoke loudly as a testimony to those surrounding the area.

The glory of God has departed.

Can you think of sadder words than these? Perhaps we may feel as if the presence or cheer of God has left us, but it is never true. For He promises, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Thank You Jesus for securing us from the departure of Your glory.

Lord, I so desire to have a heart in tune with Your cares, and Your glory. Make me a bright and bold witness for You. Protect me from ever treating You as, or thinking of You as, a vending machine or good luck charm.

1 comment:

Trinka said...

I remember that also in Joshua, the people of Jericho referred back to what God had done at the Red Sea.

Yet how often do I forget things He's done directly, in my own life?

As I face the dreaded MacIntosh today, I need to remember that! :)