Thursday, January 17, 2008

Another Identity Chapter

I'd have to confess, this was a hard chapter to feel fed from. I mean, reading all of the dysfunction, and unhealth, and outright bondage contained in Judges 9...where is food in that?

But to me, I'm struck by the fact that I'm a child of Royalty, a daughter of the King. And if I can rest in that, be secure in that, I won't go about behaving as a child in bondage (verse 18).

You'll notice the dysfunction in Abimelech in more areas than just his murder. He manipulated his brothers, he was determined to get his way, had insufferable sibling rivalry, had someone else do his dirty work, hired worthless and reckless men, wanted to be "king" (notice it wasn't merely a "judge") of everyone, and everything he involved himself in seems to have ended in destruction, one way or another...including his suicidal death. Trying to manipulate even the way he died.

He was the son of bondage. And he remained in that bondage until the end.

Yet he was confronted with a turning point. It is as if his brother Jotham laid before him the right road to chose (yeah for Jotham to have the courage to even face the man who killed his 68 brothers). Notice how forward and forthright and thoughtful Jotham's confrontation with Abimelech was. It seems so healthy, so bold.

It seems Jotham took after his liberating father, Gideon, while Abimelech continued in bondage.

And then just one last thought...it is interesting that in this chapter of chaos, evil, injustice and outright brutality, that the writer makes it clear, that God was still in charge. He isn't wringing His hands in fear that Abimelech might thwart His ways. Everything is being worked out according to Love's goodness!

Oh Father, I desire to take after You and live in Your liberating love. Help me to be as bold as Jotham and make amends where ever there is a need. And thank You for being so faithful to visit with me even through hard chapters like today's.

1 comment:

Trinka said...

This is one of those chapters that I've always had trouble following who was who, but the violence is un-missable.

What a blessing for God to bring forth from it.

Your blog is an encouragement to me.