Thursday, January 31, 2008

Gossip on Purpose!

This Ruth gal is one of kind. She is committed, she is hard-working, she is humble, she is frugal and generous.


Ruth chapter 2 is helping me recover from the last 5 chapters of Judges where every man did what was right in his own eyes. I can't help but see Jesus Christ pictured in Boaz. But I'll have to leave that for the 4th chapter!

Two items clamor for my attention today.

First, I love how verse 16 reads in the King James Version:
And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not.
Who wouldn't want handfuls of purpose in their lives? Some days I think, "I would be satisfied with just one purpose!" And yet
God has created us in Christ Jesus for good works, which God purposed beforehand that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)
He has given us a purpose, to glorify Him. And if I don't know anything else to do, I can always commune with Him by prayer and His word.

I love that phrase, handfuls of purpose and long to live on purpose as a result!

The other thing is gossip.
It has been fully reported to me, all that you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband...
Everyone knew of Ruth's love and commitment to Naomi. Praise the Lord! Good news carried like wildfire instead of slander or rumors. I only want to be a gossiper if I can share good news!
Lord, thank you for the purity and virtue of Ruth. How I hunger for that kind of commitment, faithfulness, and submission. I want to live purposefully for You and to only share the kind of news that will edify and build up other people and glorify You. Thank you for the bountiful gleanings You are giving in the Scriptures this past month. You are a mighty God, righteous and gracious altogether!

1 comment:

Trinka said...

Amen to this!

I was reading in Luke 11 this morning -- ask, seek ... knock ... and was thinking of all the possible things for which a person could ask. Knowing Him is what I want to pursue with this kind of diligence.