Thursday, January 24, 2008

Deliverance for the Deliverer!

I must confess, I have come to the story of Samson with some already preconceived ideas about him. A self-pitying womanizer, a self-willed brat, an uncontrollable egotistical brute, who wants the world to know just how smart he is by talking in riddles! (I'm not very generous, am I?!)

And initially, the chapter for today, Judges 15, only provides credence to that assessment.

But when I try to read this through a more gracious set of eyes, I'm especially struck by the last verse. Here I am judging this judge by the 5 or so incidents recorded in the 4 chapters given to him. But look at verse 20:

And he judged Israel twenty years in the days of the Philistines.
In this one verse we see the next 20 years of Samson’s life as he judges Israel with no mention of his sensual lifestyle. Twenty years without incident and I want to critique him based the years of his youth. I don't know very many people would care to be measured by that standard...myself included.

That is the beauty of God. Even with all of our sins, failures and weaknesses, He manages to cull fruitfulness from us, and then praises us as if it were our own doing. Just look at how Samson was viewed through New Testament's eyes, a hero of the faith, Hebrews 11:32.

------

Another verse that was delightful to consider is verse 14:
Then the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him; and the ropes that were on his arms became like flax that is burned with fire, and his bonds broke loose from his hands.
Just muse on that verse in regards to your own life...what God has done or what you desire for Him to do!

There is no limit to His powerful deliverances. Whatever be the cords of evil habits, woven through long years, and however entangling our circumstances, God's indwelling power can set us free. Ephesians 1:19. I wonder if Samson marveled at the liberation he experienced so easily just as it seemed he was being totally given over to the enemy?
Lord, I pray that you would make the ropes that hold my heart become like flax that is burned with fire. Strengthen me to share the good news of Your indwelling power with others, especially those those snared by lust and addictions.

1 comment:

Trinka said...

It's a good reminder ...

I think about how my perceptions of others around me are colored by such a BRIEF period of time with them (a few chapters, as it were!). Yet I have no idea what's going on in the other "20 years" of their life, nor of the ropes from which God is freeing them.

I like Eph 1:19 along with this too - the SAME power that raised Christ from the dead is at work in us. That's no small thing!