Monday, January 14, 2008

Who Do You Think You Are?!

God is so accommodating. Yes, perhaps He is inflexible when it comes to justice and His refusal to take bribes to overlook crimes.

But is He inflexible when it pertains to areas of our faith and our need for growth? ... Just look at the chapter for today!

Judges 6 is the chapter read today in St. Philip's 3-year Bible Plan.

If I had to define Gideon, I would suggest:
"He Who Proved God is Accommodating"

Consider the patience of God as He listens to (and answers!) Gideon...

  • How can I?
  • My family is the weakest.
  • I'm the least of this weak family.
  • I don't believe in You.
  • Can't we just talk about this for a while (kinda like Reuben did yesterday :-)?
  • I can't do this alone.
  • Can I do it at night time so people won't see me?
  • Would you mind humoring me with wetting the fleece only?
  • Mind if I procrastinate just a day more and ask You to keep the fleece dry?
What does God do? He accommodates poor Gideon, recognizing his weak faith.

--------

Another thought that I was strongly struck by in this chapter is based in verse 12.

"Just who do you think you are?"
I'm inclined to answer the same way Gideon did:
the least of the weakest, hiding for fear of failure

But look at who the Lord thought Gideon was.
...you mighty man of valor!
(and in Hebrews 11, a man of faith)

You gotta be kiddin' me? Gideon? a man of faith? of valor?

And so it is, the Lord's identification of who we are is so vastly different from how we assess ourselves. The truth be told, most Christians suffer from an identity crisis.

Here is a good list to help straighten out that crisis:
Chronologically as it appears in the New Testament
or
Pictorially as it appears in poster format

Lord Jesus Christ, grant me a glimpse of who You are as well as the truth of who I am in You! Thank you for dealing so tenderly with this weak woman.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Trinka said...

Thanks for the blessing this morning. I loved the two links also.

Tammie - nice to see you also!