Sunday, January 13, 2008

Reuben was a Procrastinator

I guess my procrastination is a big issue with me, because I'm seeing the same thing in this chapter today as I did in yesterday's!

Today in Judges chapter 5 I'm struck by the contrast between Reuben and Zebulun. The Message paraphrase of the Bible paints it in clear modern terms in verses 15-18.

"Captains marched down from Makir, from Zebulun high-ranking leaders came down ... But in Reuben's divisions there was much second-guessing. Why all those campfire discussions? Diverted and distracted, Reuben's divisions couldn't make up their minds .... But Zebulun risked life and limb, defied death."


If you're anything like me, you don't have any problems relating to the whole talking a task into the ground and not getting a single thing accomplished as a result...and left to wonder why!

Second-guessing. What if I fail? What if it's not of God? What if it turns out to be a waste of time? What if it doesn't have good ROI's? I can't do it. etc.

But oh how I love Zebulun!
marched down...
came down...
even the high-ranking leaders...
to jeopardize their lives!


Don't you just love Zebulun-type folks! Energetic, vibrant, can-do kind of people. Willing to risk their reputation, success rate, even their very lives to march forward in the Kingdom of God?

Reuben procrastinated away his opportunity to be part of a victory.
Zebulun participated in, and obtained the victory for himself and others.

Lord, oh that I might be from Zebulun's tribe in 2008!

5 comments:

Trinka said...

I like that Message phrase "campfire discussions." It's a good picture of how stagnant the decision-making process can become.

What's an ROI?

Catherine said...

I was just thinking about this last week. I meet with an accountability group every Thursday, and I keep saying that I need to study in order to grow my relationship with God, and not just for "work." This morning, I am blessed by this e-mail from Deborah, and I realize I cannot sit by the campfire and talk about it any longer. God is calling and the time is now.

Trinka, it is wonderful to see your picture. I've missed your smiling face!

Deborah said...

ROI = Return on Investment

Don't feel bad, I didn't know what it was until I was 39...and that thanks to one of Clay's sermons.

Catherine, Catherine, Catherine...it is so good to hear from you. Press on in your purpose to rendezvous with God! It almost doesn't matter where we read...He seems capable of using any passage to communicate to us!

Trinka said...

Nice to see you again too Catherine! I share your feelings about the need to leave the campfire. I find myself so comfortable there, and it's hard to make myself budge!

ROI - return on investment ... got it! Not an area in which I've ever had much experience. :)

Trinka

Tammie said...

Unfortunately, I tend to be more like Reuben in this area of my life. Thank you, Deborah, for encouraging me to dig deeper in my daily readings. This is a wonderful tool to help me. Thanks!

Trinka, if is good to hear from you as well.